Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Wildflowers


While I wait for my very first picture to upload (!), I thought I'd write about wildflowers. I found four today (in the field guide mentioned on 7/2): Black Snakeroot, Hedge Nettle, False Sunflower, and Hedge Bindweed. While looking for them I did come across Stinging Nettles, too (but they are not in my book, so I'm not sure what they look like). I guess my mother enlightened me about wildflowers when I found out she actually planted much of her ravine with plants she dug up along and on the way to the railroad tracks. I guess I realized there must have been something about them. First, I learned that they may fade through the season, but when they show it's quite the show! Second, I also had to learn about which were invasive and which could be controlled, and I'm still learning. When I found out the primrose that I planted were actually Wisconsin Evening Primrose (pictured), a wildflower, I was hooked. Now I've let wild geranium grow in my gardens as well as Ox-eye Daisy and Butter-and-eggs (I'm sure I could go on). I think the Black-eyed Susan may have been a volunteer, but maybe I planted it. This spring I planted (to name a few) Virginia Bluebell, Wild Ginger, and Solomon's Seal (smooth) and hope they come back. I could go on and on, because honestly, once you start, I don't think there's any stopping.

No comments: