Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Reason for Milkweed


MilkweedJy07
Originally uploaded by kage2007
Milkweed reminds me of my childhood as I had pulled many seed pods apart just to blow or fluff the seeds into the wind--and such a silky feeling. I don't remember being attracted to the flowers nor their wonderful fragrance (like I am now). I must have found Monarch caterpillars on them, as that is solely what they feed on (and makes them distasteful to birds); and that is why I let them grow in my gardens now. The flowers are a perk; it's the caterpillars we are after. Years ago I bought a butterfly pavilion for my kids (4' long?), and with it came a card for 10 Painted Butterfly caterpillars. After sending the card, the tiny caterpillars arrived, ate everything in the small jar, grew rapidly, and attached their chrysalis to the paper on the lid. I was then to take the paper, attach it to the inside of the pavilion, wait for them to turn into butterflies, and then release them. We did that once and then collected Monarchs ever since. With a few fresh leaves and water every day--it's just an incredible natural event. We had ten this summer, releasing the last yesterday morning. Already I heard someone say something about getting some more. I haven't tired of it, either.

No comments: