Monday, July 2, 2007

My Wild Side

Over the years I have dug up (and pulled up) plants I've seen growing wild in the ditch or a field and planted them in my gardens. They don't always come back the next year (or I pull them the next year thinking they are weeds), or they may take over for part of the season (which the daisies do, but I don't mind). I remember digging a wild rose and a Columbine and other things I didn't know the name of. A couple years ago I came across a little (but thick) book called "Wildflowers of Wisconsin, Field Guide" by Stan Tekiela c 2000, and I just love it. Not only has it opened my eyes to all the flowers I've purchased over the years that are actually wildflowers (!), but I'm on my own little quest (no timeline) to some day find every one of them!! There is one wildflower I allow to grow in my garden each year, and that is the Common Milkweed (I haven't identified the Swamp or Whorled, yet). The Monarch butterfly lays its eggs only on the milkweed; we scoop up the caterpillars to form their chrysalis in a hanging pavilion and release them when they've emerged as butterflies, dried and ready to fly. It's as close to being a Butterfly Farmer as my husband will ever get (IB), and it brings out the wild side in me. :)

No comments: